For years we`ve heard stories about halloween`s gone wrong-poison tainted candy and apples filled with razor blades. But just how often does that really happen? "There`s never been any kind of candy that`s been found where a child got poisoned that I`m aware of," said Shreveport Police Sgt. Robin Snyder. And Shreveport isn`t alone. Our research of national databases found only one case of a child dying or being injured from tainted candy. In 1974 a Texas man was arrested for adding cyanide to a piece of candy and slipping in with the rest of his son`s trick-or-treat stash. He reportedly also gave out the tainted candy to several other children to coverup the crime. Luckily none of them ate it. Even with just one crime in more than 30 years, police say parents shouldn`t let their guard down. "Always inspect their children`s candy before allowing them to consume that candy. And look for evidence of tampering," said Bossier City Police Spokesperson Mark Natale. Homeowners should also keep safety in mind when opening their door.. "If you feel like the kids are too old to be trick-or-treating, you`re nor obligated to give candy to anyone," said Sgt. Snyder. And if homeowners choose not to participate, police say they should still stay home keep an eye out for their property. "Be wary of your surroundings... because along with the treats there are tricks that are played on Halloween," said Natale. Police in Shreveport and Bossier plan on having officers patrol the streets Tuesday night. In an effort to keep everyone safe, Bossier Police are asking their citizens to wrap up all trick-or-treating by 8 pm.