Three Shreveport firefighters were injured during an intense afternoon house fire in the 3000 block of Waco Street. Firefighter Demarcus McDowdell injured his neck and back when an outdoor porch collapsed on top of him. He was transported to Willis Knighton - Pierremont in stable/good condition. Firefighter Peter Bolton received second-degree burns through his protective gear to his upper arm. He was also transported in stable/good condition to Willis Knighton - Pierremont. A third firefighter, Brandon Lee was treated at the scene for dehydration but was not transported to the hospital. Firefighters responded to numerous reports of the Anderson Island neighborhood fire just after 1:00 p.m. Dispatchers from Caddo 911 also radioed that there were reports of children in the residence. Thick black and grey smoke from the blaze could be seen from as far away as downtown. When fire crews arrived, despite the home being covered in flames and smoke, they aggressively attacked the fire making their way through the front of the home. They soon after reported that no one way in the house. It took firefighters about 40 minutes to bring the fire under control. The fire consumed the older single story wood frame house in a matter of minutes, something that may be attributes to its construction type and inside contents. Older constructed homes are made externally as well as internally almost completely from wood. This type of construction allows the fire to spread more rapidly then todays homes, where sheetrock works significantly to slow fire spread. Fire investigators are attributing the fire to a child playing with matches. Investigators said a 10-year old was home alone without any adult supervision when the incident occurred. They will be contacting the Child Protection Agency to report the incident. It is unknown as to whether any charges will be filed against the parents or guardian(s) at this time. Children left unsupervised are a leading cause of fires in the United Stated, often leading to serious injury or even death. Curious Kids Set Fires. From the National Fire Protection Association regarding children and fire: Children of all ages set over 35,000 fires annually. Approximately 8,000 of those fires are set in homes. Children make up 15-20% of all fire deaths. At home, children usually play with fire in bedrooms, in closets and under beds. These are "secret" places where there are a lot of things that catch fire easily. Too often, child firesetters are not given proper guidance and supervision by parents Practice Fire Safety in Your Home Supervise young children closely. Do not leave them alone even for short periods of time. Keep matches and lighters in a secured drawer or cabinet. Have your children tell you when they find matches and lighters. Check under beds and in closets for burned matches, evidence your child may be playing with fire. Develop a home fire escape plan, practice it with your children and designate a meeting place outside. Take the mystery out of fire play by teaching children that fire is a tool, not a toy. Teach children the nature of fire. It is FAST, HOT, DARK and DEADLY! Teach children not to hide from firefighters, but to get out quickly and call for help from another location. Show children how to crawl low on the floor, below the smoke, to get out of the house and stay out in the case of fire. Demonstrate how to stop, drop to the ground and roll if their clothes catch fire. Install smoke alarms on every level in your home. Familiarize children with the sound of your smoke alarm. Test the smoke alarm each month and replace the battery at least once a year. Replace the smoke alarm every ten years, or as recommended by the manufacturer.