Accidental carbon monoxide exposure caused a family from west Shreveport family to seek emergency medical attention from the Shreveport Fire Department's medic units. At 11:47 a.m. this morning, the Shreveport Fire Department's Engine 4 and Medic 4 responded to the
1400 block of Madison Street to a complaint of general weakness, nausea,
and light headed feeling for an entire family.
Upon arrival, Captain/Paramedic Kerry Lemley assessed the situation and concluded that the occupants had suffered from inhaling dangerous carbon monoxide fumes.
Once the caused was suspected, the carbon monoxide producing equipment was shut off and the occupants were moved outside to a safe environment.
Lemley called for immediate assistance from Battalion Chief 5, who conducted and supervised the special carbon monoxide testing. The results showed the carbon monoxide levels in the home were 699 parts per million, which exceeded the normal exposure levels of carbon monoxide exposure.
Two adults and one small child were transported to Willis Knighton North and are being observed by physicians.
Levels exceeding 35 parts per million can create nausea, vomiting and headaches, therefore this family was in extreme danger" according to Fire Chief Craig Mulford. "The Shreveport Fire Department's policy is that a self-contained breathing apparatus must be worn if carbon monoxide levels reach more than 35 parts per million."
Purchase and install Carbon Monoxide detectors in the hallway near every separate sleeping area in the home if you use natural gas or a fireplace for your heating. If your CO detector sounds, get out and call 911.
Have your heating system, chimneys and fireplaces professionally inspected and serviced every year.
If you have natural gas heat in your home and began to feel dizzy, light-headed and nauseated, get outside immediately and call 911.
Do not attempt to heat your home with the oven because burning an open flame in a closed area uses up oxygen and produces deadly carbon monoxide gases.
Do not use exhaust producing equipment in an enclosed area of a home
occupied by humans.