The Bossier City Fire Department thwarted a chimney fire Wednesday night that damaged, but did not destroy, a house in the 2100 block of Alison Avenue.
The blaze began after the wood framing within the home’s chimney caught fire due to heat generated by a fire the home’s occupants had set in the fireplace earlier in the evening. The fire spread to a portion of the attic before fire crews arrived on the scene. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within several minutes upon arriving and prevent the fire from spreading.
Fire crews had to punch holes out of the chimney and the metal flue in order to access the chimney’s wood framing which continued to smolder. Firefighters then put out the remaining fire with fire suppressing foam to help minimize water damage to the home’s interior.
The occupants of the house were at home at the time of the fire and were not injured.