"From Cotton Fields to Airfield"
Starting From Scratch
Emerging from the cotton fields of Northwestern Louisiana in the early 1930s, Barksdale Air Force Base has grown into a major source of revenue and employment for the region.
Barksdale has proudly served the Ark-La-Tex ( Arkansas , Louisiana and Texas ) for more than 68 years. As a key Air Force Global Strike Command base, Barksdale has a pivotal role in providing a large part of the nation's deterrent force.
Barksdale is home to the Air Force's newest command, Air Force Global Strike Command. AFGSC was activated August, 2009, and is responsible for the nation's three intercontinental Ballistic Missile Wings, two B-52 Stratofortress Wings and the only B-2 Spirit Wing.
The "Mighty Eighth" Air Force, of World War II fame, is headquartered at the base. Barksdale is home to the 2nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Operations Group, 2nd Maintenance Group, 2nd Mission Support Group, the 2nd Medical Group, Eighth Air Force Museum (which maintains the historical aircraft and artifacts that grace the base) and the Air Force Reserve's 917th Wing.
B-52 .... Name BUFF (Big Ugly Flying Fellow)
- Bush & Barksdale: The President Addresses the Nation On 9/11
- Barksdale Profile: Security Forces Patrol and Respond to Emergencies
- Bossier School Board tours Barksdale AFB
- Barksdale Profile: Dentists Learn Specialties At Base
- Barksdale Prepares for 67 Aircraft Relocating Ahead of Hurricane Irene
- Barksdale Profile: Combat Arms Instructors Have Many Duties
- Barksdale Profile: Weapons Qualification, Out on the Firing Range
- Working at 2 a.m. to Beat the Heat
- Barksdale Profile: Life Saving Supplies For Airmen
- Barksdale Profile: $130 Million in Construction Costs