"From Cotton Fields to Airfield"
Starting From Scratch
Emerging from the cotton fields of Northwestern Louisiana in the early 1930s, Barksdale Air Force Base has grown into a major source of revenue and employment for the region.
Barksdale has proudly served the Ark-La-Tex ( Arkansas , Louisiana and Texas ) for more than 68 years. As a key Air Force Global Strike Command base, Barksdale has a pivotal role in providing a large part of the nation's deterrent force.
Barksdale is home to the Air Force's newest command, Air Force Global Strike Command. AFGSC was activated August, 2009, and is responsible for the nation's three intercontinental Ballistic Missile Wings, two B-52 Stratofortress Wings and the only B-2 Spirit Wing.
The "Mighty Eighth" Air Force, of World War II fame, is headquartered at the base. Barksdale is home to the 2nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Operations Group, 2nd Maintenance Group, 2nd Mission Support Group, the 2nd Medical Group, Eighth Air Force Museum (which maintains the historical aircraft and artifacts that grace the base) and the Air Force Reserve's 917th Wing.
B-52 .... Name BUFF (Big Ugly Flying Fellow)
- Helping Military Families Stretch Their Dollars
- EXCLUSIVE: Air Force Security Forces Compete At Camp Minden
- Barksdale Profile: Local Invention Saves Air Force Millions of $$$
- Barksdale Profile: Global Strike Challenge
- Barksdale Profile: Firefighters Challenge Airmen
- Barksdale Profile: Building Bombs for Competition, Global Strike Challenge
- Barksdale Profile: Oktoberfest
- Barksdale Profile: New Museum Would Protect Million Dollar Aircraft
- Barksdale Profile: Airmen Mentor Elementary Students
- Barksdale Profile: Hundreds Change Careers Because of 9/11