"From Cotton Fields to Airfield"
Starting From Scratch
Emerging from the cotton fields of Northwestern Louisiana in the early 1930s, Barksdale Air Force Base has grown into a major source of revenue and employment for the region.
Barksdale has proudly served the Ark-La-Tex ( Arkansas , Louisiana and Texas ) for more than 68 years. As a key Air Force Global Strike Command base, Barksdale has a pivotal role in providing a large part of the nation's deterrent force.
Barksdale is home to the Air Force's newest command, Air Force Global Strike Command. AFGSC was activated August, 2009, and is responsible for the nation's three intercontinental Ballistic Missile Wings, two B-52 Stratofortress Wings and the only B-2 Spirit Wing.
The "Mighty Eighth" Air Force, of World War II fame, is headquartered at the base. Barksdale is home to the 2nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Operations Group, 2nd Maintenance Group, 2nd Mission Support Group, the 2nd Medical Group, Eighth Air Force Museum (which maintains the historical aircraft and artifacts that grace the base) and the Air Force Reserve's 917th Wing.
B-52 .... Name BUFF (Big Ugly Flying Fellow)
- Married to the military: Barksdale Profile
- U.S. Secretary of Defense to visit Barksdale AFB
- Barksdale airman asks Tebow to military ball
- The "Mighty Eighth" turns 70
- Services scheduled for BAFB airman killed in Afghanistan
- Bossier City accepting applications for Reserve Police training
- DOD officially confirms death of Barksdale airman, two others
- Parents of felled BAFB Airman release statement
- Barksdale Airman dies in Afghanistan
- Barksdale Profile: Fitness