"From Cotton Fields to Airfield"
Starting From Scratch
Emerging from the cotton fields of Northwestern Louisiana in the early 1930s, Barksdale Air Force Base has grown into a major source of revenue and employment for the region.
Barksdale has proudly served the Ark-La-Tex ( Arkansas , Louisiana and Texas ) for more than 68 years. As a key Air Force Global Strike Command base, Barksdale has a pivotal role in providing a large part of the nation's deterrent force.
Barksdale is home to the Air Force's newest command, Air Force Global Strike Command. AFGSC was activated August, 2009, and is responsible for the nation's three intercontinental Ballistic Missile Wings, two B-52 Stratofortress Wings and the only B-2 Spirit Wing.
The "Mighty Eighth" Air Force, of World War II fame, is headquartered at the base. Barksdale is home to the 2nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Operations Group, 2nd Maintenance Group, 2nd Mission Support Group, the 2nd Medical Group, Eighth Air Force Museum (which maintains the historical aircraft and artifacts that grace the base) and the Air Force Reserve's 917th Wing.
B-52 .... Name BUFF (Big Ugly Flying Fellow)
- Barksdale Profile: Life Saving Supplies For Airmen
- Barksdale Profile: $130 Million in Construction Costs
- Barksdale Profile: Moves Made Less Often for Airmen With B52 Background
- Salute to Barksdale to air Saturday and Sunday
- Barksdale Profile: Maintaining B52 Bombers, Ground Crew Vital
- Barksdale Profile: Faster, Easier Access to Healthcare for Military
- Barksdale Profile: Planning, Executing Bombing Missions Part Of Everyday Life
- Bossier City and Barksdale Air Force Base
- Barksdale Profile: Staying in Shape To Fight For Our Country
- Barksdale Profile: Military working dogs protect and detect