"From Cotton Fields to Airfield"
Starting From Scratch
Emerging from the cotton fields of Northwestern Louisiana in the early 1930s, Barksdale Air Force Base has grown into a major source of revenue and employment for the region.
Barksdale has proudly served the Ark-La-Tex ( Arkansas , Louisiana and Texas ) for more than 68 years. As a key Air Force Global Strike Command base, Barksdale has a pivotal role in providing a large part of the nation's deterrent force.
Barksdale is home to the Air Force's newest command, Air Force Global Strike Command. AFGSC was activated August, 2009, and is responsible for the nation's three intercontinental Ballistic Missile Wings, two B-52 Stratofortress Wings and the only B-2 Spirit Wing.
The "Mighty Eighth" Air Force, of World War II fame, is headquartered at the base. Barksdale is home to the 2nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Operations Group, 2nd Maintenance Group, 2nd Mission Support Group, the 2nd Medical Group, Eighth Air Force Museum (which maintains the historical aircraft and artifacts that grace the base) and the Air Force Reserve's 917th Wing.
B-52 .... Name BUFF (Big Ugly Flying Fellow)
- Special Mother's Day for Air Force Family
- The Enemy Within: PTSD
- The Enemy Within: Suicide claims more lives than combat
- National initiative "Hiring Our Heroes" in Bossier Friday
- Barksdale Profile : 917th Shutdown hits Airmen Hard
- Barksdale Profile: Bond Between Military Dogs & Handlers
- Barksdale 307th now Nuclear Certified
- Barksdale B52 Flight
- DOD suspends F-35 flight operations after finding engine blade crack
- Barksdale Profile: 50 years of the 917th